Given that vasectomy:
- Is one of the most effective contraceptive options currently available,
- Is one of the most cost effective options,
- Is safer and slightly more effective than female sterilization,
- Inspires male participation,
- Has not been as thoroughly researched as other forms of FP.
- Lacks qualified providers in many parts of the world trained in evidence-based techniques;
- Is potentially reversible;
- Should be available everywhere; and
- Lacks a single institution in the world dedicated to its research and knowledge transfer;
Therefore, World Vasectomy Day, Inc., NSVI (No Scalpel Vasectomy International) and the Fonds Michel- Labrecque en santé reproductive masculine from the Fondation de l’Université Laval, Quebec City, Canada are proposing to launch the WVD Academy to feature and cultivate best practices.
Over time we will provide support in the following five areas:
- Service Provision: Providing the highest quality vasectomy and vasectomy reversal services for clients, using best techniques and equipment.
- Training and Knowledge Transfer: Conducting evidence-based training and knowledge-transfer activities for doctors, nurses, community health workers and family planning promoters.
- Advocacy: Working with local governments and ministries of health to strengthen policies and infrastructure around service delivery.
- Demand Generation: Launching innovative communication programs to develop effective and culturally relevant media and messaging to increase awareness and build demand.
- Research: Evaluating all components of the program to be at the forefront of generating new best practices.
World Vasectomy Day, Inc., NSVI (No Scalpel Vasectomy International) and the Fonds Michel- Labrecque en santé reproductive masculine from the Fondation de l’Université Laval, Quebec City, Canada, along with Profamilia, Colombia, and Pop Council Mexico are collaborating to launch the WVD Academy.
This Center will focus on five themes
The proposed WVD Center for Excellence is the first program where best practices in vasectomy are offered to ensure sustainable, effective and scalable programs for male engagement in family planning.